Grahare Fan Club

The members of the Grahare fan club would like to hang his picture in the halls of the White House. That is why we have lauched this blog to draft him for the presidency! We are posting his countless letters as a way to reach voters across the country. Soon Americans in every polling box will be enlightened to Marcus' pragmatic beliefs!

Unofficial Marcus Draft Committee
ryals@uab.edu

Visit Marcus' Facebook Profile:
http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=1249846273&k=ZXG5PWQ4TYVM51CCWBY5SS&r&v=2

30 April 2010

Uniforms send weak message

I realize that my opinion concerning uniforms for public school children is one of the least concerns of the world.

During the 1950s, I was aware that the Catholic school children in Montgomery wore uniforms. This immediately identified them in after-school situations, such as riding the bus home. I always supposed it was a Catholic thing.

By now, I think we all know the rationale behind the superintendent's push for total involvement of the uniform dress code by all public schools. Let me assure you, uniforms did not prevent the ferocious fight I broke up between two girls about three-quarters of a mile from Capitol Heights school, while a crowd of uniformed children apparently egged it on. Khaki pants do not prevent the boys from exposing their underwear when no authority is present.

I believe that uniforms in the public schools represent a philosophy that says we are unable to establish respectful, dignified, reasonable rules of dress with parents and children. I think the process says the children actually control the situation, not parents or the school administration. Various administrators will pat their own backs while making frilly reports of enhanced control and behavioral improvement. Trust me, the students will be working their own agenda.

If I may be allowed a paraphrase: It isn't the color of their clothes that is important, it is the content of their character development.

West Marcus
Montgomery