Grahare Fan Club

The members of the Grahare fan club would like to hang his picture in the halls of the White House. That is why we have lauched this blog to draft him for the presidency! We are posting his countless letters as a way to reach voters across the country. Soon Americans in every polling box will be enlightened to Marcus' pragmatic beliefs!

Unofficial Marcus Draft Committee
ryals@uab.edu

Visit Marcus' Facebook Profile:
http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=1249846273&k=ZXG5PWQ4TYVM51CCWBY5SS&r&v=2

25 March 2008

'Idiot's' deadly action sadly not uncommon

At 12:05 a.m. on Jan. 1, 2008, I lay in bed listening to fireworks laced with the sounds of semi-automatic gunfire. It came from two different directions. I knew it was not so far away, and could travel to my windows or even through a brick wall. I hoped it went straight up.

I awoke to the news that one round did not go straight up. I am so sad that a child is the undeserving victim of a random act of total stupidity and disregard for human life and safety.

I taught at the Gibbs Village Head Start Center in the community center when it opened in the late 1960s. We made home visits and I had no fear in the evenings as I walked the streets to check about ill or absent children.

I was the teacher. They liked me. There was mutual respect and apparent safe surroundings. I had started at Madison Park with Mrs. Etra Seay, and also felt no trepidation, as I visited there.
I am retired now, but must admit I do not understand why things have gone to the current status quo. I worked with some wonderful, dedicated individuals who tried, as did I, to promote respect and social pride. I wish I had been more effective and am sorry I was not more so.

I don't blame the city, the police or the neighbors. I blame one idiot. The only problem is there is another one waiting. I urge us all to not have let this child die in vain.

West Marcus
Montgomery